A Carers Victoria partnership.
The Victorian and Tasmanian PHN Alliance is undertaking a statewide initiative to enhance primary care workforce capacity to support Victorian carers. The aim of this project is to raise awareness of the carer experience and advance primary care capability building in relation to carer recognition and supports.
The five priority areas in the Victorian carer strategy 2018 – 22 are that carers:
- Are healthy and well;
- Are engaged in education, employment and community;
- Can access respite and other supports they need when they want them;
- Have less financial stress; and
- Are recognised, acknowledged and respected.
Capability building seeks to address the following areas of focus:
- Carer role recognition to enable holistic support for patients
- Formal integration of the role of carers in care planning and care plan implementation
- Opportunistic identification of carer self-care, health and support needs.
The key activities include the development of primary health care resources, including a continuous professional development toolkit encompassing clinical resources, referral and service options, and online materials.
Efforts are guided by an expert steering committee.